Regular gynecological checkups are important to the health of any woman. If you are more than 18 years old or sexually active, you should see a gynecologist each year. Do not wait until you have a problem to establish a relationship with a gynecologist.
Your annual gynecologic exam could include:
- Pelvic exam
- Pap test (Cervical cancer screening)
- Brief general physical exam (Monitoring blood pressure, heart rate, respiration, etc.)
- Breast exam and/or mammogram
- Skin check (For changing or abnormal moles, etc.)
- Nutrition and exercise discussion
- Sexual health discussion and/or STD testing
- Time to ask your doctor questions
If you have problems with abnormal or painful periods, or you notice another change in your gynecologic health between annual exams, do not hesitate to call our office at 704-384-1620.
Visiting your gynecologist is not a substitute for visiting your primary care physician. Certain routine lab tests will not be performed during your annual gynecological exam. Many insurance companies will only cover routine labs your primary care physician orders, and Novant Health Rankin OB/GYN does not want to be responsible for a bill your insurance company won't cover.